February and March are good months to prune fruit trees because they are dormant. Pruning can be beneficial for a tree as it allows for more light and air circulation. It is recommended to prune fruit trees annually.
Here are a few pruning tips:
- Overlapping branches: remove one so the light can get to the other.
- Prune vertically growing branches. Keep the horizontal growing branches as they are the ones that will provide fruit.
- prune approximately one-quarter of horizontally growing branches.
- Remove any diseased or broken branches and dispose of them away from the tree.
- Prune any branches that are touching the ground to deter pests.
For more info on pruning:
Next blog post – dormant spraying for trees.