The days are getting longer and we’re starting to think about garden season 2021.
While we wait to get back in the garden, here are some of the things we like to do during the winter months.
1. Check out the new seeds available at local garden centres and catalogs.
2. Organize seed packages to see what’s missing.
3. Have a look at dahlia bulbs and glads. Remove any bad ones.
4. Take geraniums and fuschias out of cold storage, re-pot them and give them some water and a sunny window. You should see some life in 2-3 weeks.
5. Start seeds that take extra time for best results such as pansies, onions, leeks, celery, and peppers.
6. This is a great time of year to prune trees.
7. Grow microgreens indoors such as arugula, kale, and lettuce.
8. Grow sprouting seeds such as peas and beans for a taste of spring. This is a good way to use up last year’s seeds.
What projects do you take care of over the winter to prepare for next season? Do you have any winter tips to share? Please let us know in the comments below.